Is Your Skin Aggravated?
The first step in the treatment of skin is to determine if a particular food is a trigger. This is accomplished by keeping a food journal.
Simply keep track of all you eat and drink on one side of the journal and how your skin is doing on the other side.
After a few weeks of collecting data an “Elimination Diet” is recommended. This means you eat primarily WHOLE foods and limit refined and processed foods.
After establishing a “clean” diet of whole grains, simply prepared protein (fish, chicken, beef) and steamed veggies (carrots, sweet potato, boy choy, string beans, etc.) void of spices and refined foods, then you can begin to add in the foods to be tested and record how your skin responds.
Everyone is different but it is often the below list of foods that are triggering to the skin:
- Nuts, especially tree nuts (peanuts seem to be the worst.)
- Nightshade vegetables: Peppers, eggplant and especially cooked tomato.
- Tropical fruits: Mango, papaya, kiwi, banana, avocado, and strawberries. (Better choice is watermelon, apples, pears, some berries, NOT strawberries.)
- Fermented foods: Vinegar, miso, beer, wine.
- And for some people sensitivity to eggs, dairy, wheat, corn, soy, etc
Always use caution when experimenting with what you are consuming – wean yourself slowly.